Sunday, August 12, 2012

Quotes and writings

12th August, 2012

Going through the piles and piles of paper and things we have been carrying around with us while we move house, I have come to realize how funny life can be.  Through my limping and plodding to and from the shed to the kitchen and back, I have today experienced much agonizing pain but I am surprised that despite the pain I felt through the day, there was a light-heartedness in the home.  I somehow took things more easily than I would normally.  The day passed with my joking and laughing at everything that happened.  Whether one of my old tattered cartons gave way and all the age-old things packed in it came rolling out, or whether I could not get my precious cup of tea as there was no milk, and much more.

I opened one of the books from the carton and found a small writing by James N. Alexander M.A...  He wrote a article in an old magazine which I have preserved for a long time.  the date of the page is September 1970.  The cost of the magazine is 1'6.  wonder which denomination it is and believe me, the page is one intact piece of paper!..

Ah, and yes, there are many many more...

Parts of what the writing says :

Humour is the spice of life, like a gleam of sunshine on a dull day, refreshing and renewing the spirit.  When added to a cheerful disposition it is an invaluable asset to full and happy living.

A touch of humor makes us kin.  Whether you are addressing a public meeting or simply in company, if you can raise a laugh or cause a smile, you will at once thaw reserve and aloofness and bring people closer to one another.

Charles Spurgeon, the great preacher, was chided for his homely humor by those who thought a preacher should always be solemn.  He replied: "I would rather make people laugh for five minutes than sleep for half an hour".

"There is no tonic the equal of laughter, when it is spontaneous and unrestrained.  It seems to permeate every cell of both body and brain.  It relieves nerve tensions, relaxes you physically and emotionally.
James N. Alexander M.A.  Sept. 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment